Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Deeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lerillos
Lerillos
Leader

re: Deeding Basics

Greetings, Kinnies! 

This post is about the Importance of Deeding.  

First,  let us look at  some basics.

DEED BASICS

Q:  What is a Deed? 

A Deed is a list of things (example: foes, locations...) that should be completed.   There are different categories:  Slayer Deeds (Kill  'x'  number of foes); Explorer Deeds (find 'x' number of  locations); Class Deeds (these are deeds that improve the fighting skill of a given class); and Regional Deeds (these are deeds relating to a given region/area, but are different from Explorer Deeds). 

Q:  What is Deeding?

Deeding = the act of doing or completing deeds. 

Q:  Why should one deed?  

There are many reasons to do one's deeds.  Rewards; satisfaction in completion; relief in getting it done; character improvement - these are just a few of the reasons for doing deeds.

Now let us look at the rewards.  These are some of the reasons for deeding.  

REWARDS

1) One acquires experience points (xp)  for each separate item in the deed.  (Examples:  Exploration deed - for each location found, one gets xp.  Slayer deed - for each foe slain, one receives xp.)

2) Some deeds award reputation points for a given faction.  In some regions, killing certain foes will also give reputation points, in addition to xp.  (Example:  There is a warg slayer deed, which, upon completion, awards reputation points with that area's faction.  Killing a warg gives both xp and reputation points for that region's faction.  Combined, they give quite a few reputation points to that region's faction.)

3) Some deeds have 3 tiers, and some only have 1 tier.   Many deeds have 2 tiers.  If the deed has 2 tiers, the first tier will usually award a title upon completion.  The second tier will usually award a virtue point.   There will often be other rewards, such as coin, marks, experience points, legendary item points, reputation points, and/or other.

Q:  Now that I know all that, why should I do deeds, and why should I care about factions (whatever they are), or any of this other stuff? 

That  is a good question.  Let's look at what the terms mean and how they relate to the character.

Class Points = These are used on one's Trait Trees, each Tree of which is a collection of class skills.  The class skills, once earned, add fighting abilities to  the character's arsenal.

Class Skills = These are specific abilities, and unique to a given class.  A class skill must be earned. Oddly enough, one earns a class skill by using it.  A class skill is earned through a deed.  Once the deed becomes available, one must use that class skill a specified number of times before it is earned.  It does not matter how many times one has used that class skill previously.

Faction = a powerful group within a given region.  Some regions have more than one faction.  When one has become identified with a given faction, one is given certain rights within it and within the region; thus making one's stay, and one's travel through there much nicer.   Factions have reputation vendors who carry items that are useful (nice weapons, armour, jewelry) for one's level; recipes for specific crafts; housing items; and other things. 

Legendary Item Points =  These are points that affect your Legendary Item (LI).  This is a class item that one acquires around level 50 or so, and the item may be levelled just like the character.  The LI helps to make the character stronger in battle.

Marks = A mark is one type of coin that is used to purchase needed items or services at one of the Skirmish Vendors.  Marks are skirmish coin only (there are others), and cannot be used elsewhere; also the Skirmish Vendor will only accept skirmish coin.  One will need to use marks for upgrades if one does skirmishes. 

Medallions = A medallion is another type of skirmish coin. 

Title = a special name that shows one's accomplishment (i.e., bragging rights).

Virtues ( examples:  Empathy, Patience, Tolerance) affect ones ability to fight well.  Virtues give enhancements in different ways and in various combinations.  Some of the enhancements include: Tactical Mitigation; Physical Mastery; Evade; Morale; Power...

NOTE:  The higher the virtues, and the more class skills a character has, the better fighter that character becomes.

Q:  I see.  That means that I should look to see which virtues are the ones that my character needs and do just those then, doesn't it? 

You can, but that can restrict one eventually.  There may be times when one may need to change one's virtue traits (re-trait one's virtues).  If one has not done all virtue deeds, then one will be missing some possible choices.  My recommendation is to complete ALL deeds.  That way, one has the ability to re-trait virtues at need. One also receives other benefits, as mentioned both above and below.

Q:  Do I really have to do all those class traits?

If you wish to benefit from their use, yes you do.  Even the class traits that you will never use, or think that you will never use, you need to do.  Class deeds are grouped in threes.  To gain a class point, a given trio of deeds must be completed.  Please note that the Class Deeds MUST be done to be able to maximize use of class traits, and to gain more class points to be spent on the trait trees. 

AN INTERESTING  SIDE NOTE:

An interesting side note to the deeding has to do with quests.  It really does!  There are quests that are referred to as "Hidden Quests".  These range from using Emotes to Jumping Off Things to Quest Slots.

Q:  What is a Hidden Quest?  What does it have to do with Deeds?  Why should I care?

A Hidden Quest is a quest that never shows in ones quest log.  One does not know that it exists until it pops up at completion.  It is completed by a deed that never shows in the deed log until completion.  The ones that most folks are familiar with are the Emote Deeds.  [Example:  Be Hugged 'x' number of times (only 5/day count toward the deed) and get the title : "Adorable".] 

There are other less well known Hidden Deeds.  One involves the Quest Log. Now initially, the quest log (not the quest tracker) has 40 slots.  There is a Hidden Deed related to this.  When one completes 40 deeds, one gains another quest slot.  One gains up to 10 slots maximum this way. This means that if one has gained 10 quest slots, one has completed 400 deeds.  Those 10 extra quest slots can be most useful at times.  (NOTE:  This is not including the added 10 slots gained by the Helm's Deep expansion.)

Completion of deeds is beneficial to one's character.  One may enjoy deeding (Yes, there are folks who do.  Seriously!), or one may find it a grind (as many do).  Either way, one will find the results of deeding very good for one's avatar.

~Lerillos 

P.S.  There are "Fun" Deeds.  These are those deeds that one does just for fun.  Some are hidden, as Emote Deeds.  Some are more obvious, as Festival Consumables. (Yes, Festival Consumables have deeds.  Use a Festival Consumable 300 times and that becomes a permanent skill!   Snowball Fight, anyone?)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Deeds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: