Post new topic   Reply to topic    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lerillos
Lerillos
Leader

re: Breewater

BREEWATER

This began as a joke, but is fast becoming legend.   Perhaps an explanation would be useful.  

As you know, whenever a group forms, there are often folks who are meeting each other for the first time.   So it is with concerts.   One Daylak Darksbane was a member of the band Eriador Music Society (EMS).   When not performing, he was in the audience of other concerts. Through friends, he met a lovely elf lass named Aevireth.  They became a couple, appearing at concerts together.  Soon they became a comic duo, keeping the audience (and likely the performing band) in gales of laughter and repartee.

Over time, their closeness became more apparent.   Folks began nudging them towards (/RP) matrimony.  Daylak insisted that he would Never, Never, Never Wed.  Even after several couples of close friendship wed, he resisted.  (Although later denied by others, I recall a concert where Orladan and Sholah Halwende announced the birth of their (/RP) baby, Brennan.  Daylak declared that he had asked Aevireth to wed, but that she had turned him down.  She later arrived, and the conversation moved in other directions.  When I mentioned it some months later, Daylak denied it happening and Aevireth declared that she had missed this and where had she been.)

As pressure rose, Daylak increased his denials of ever wedding.   After about a year of this, Aevireth did something about it.  On Bree Stage one night, she performed  Breewater #9 (a parody of that classic, Love Potion # 9), in which she acquires the potion from Jefferey ( a player/trader in Bree at the time) and gives it to Daylak with predictable humorous results.  A week later, following  an EMS concert, a few of us gathered together to play, dance, and chat a bit before separating.  Sholah performed /her/ version of Breewater #9, in which Daylak acquires the potion from a dubious character in the Prancing Pony, also with predictable humorous results.  Both were attempts to move Daylak, and only Daylak, toward matrimony. 

The songs immediately gave rise to all sorts of jokes, puns and references by all, including Daylak, who used it most effectively.  Even I, who was much more reserved then, participated, so irresistible was the temptation.  Once, in Bree, while at an AnimalHouse rehearsal, Daylak and Aevireth were discussing this yet again.  It began to rain.  He made some comment of not drinking the water in Bree and some comment about the rain.  I told him not to worry about the rain, because"It's only Bree water". 

Many months later, he proposed, she accepted, and they were (/RP) wed on the East Porch of The Last Homely House in Rivendell.  He maintains that she held a knife to his throat till he proposed, but all who know them well are quite aware that no such thing occurred.  Her story is very different, and much more likely.  She says that she told him that if he didn't propose, that she would leave.  He, not wanting to lose her, instantly proposed and gave her an engagement ring.

Eventually, others began to use Breewater in their own way.   Beno, who didn't care for the concept of marriage, referred to it as "funeralin' " and declared that he only drank ale, because it was safe, having no Bree water in it.  He and Alidil exchanged barbs along this line.  She, not knowing its history, also became wary of Breewater.  She was eventually enlightened, much to her amusement.   In Bree, near the Prancing Pony fountain recently, Beno and several others were conversing when he mentioned Breewater.  A couple of lasses, hearing this and learning of its 'possibilities', decided to partake of the fountain, in hopes of finding 'true love'.  

So the legend grows.   (At one time, Madaelin tried to start a rumor that, once married, it would cause pregnancy, but that, fortunately, did not catch on.) 

~Lerillos 

P.S.  As I witnessed much of it, I can say that it was a rather amusing episode in the concert community.   Sadly, one no longer hears Breewater #9 performed, although there is no longer a need for it.   Sometimes a band will play Love Potion #9, but never with the lyric. At least the haven't so far.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Lore All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: