Post new topic   Reply to topic    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Natterings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dyh1
Kinsman

re: Two Christmas Traditions

Greetings and the Very Best of the Season To All

I would like to share with everyone two Christmas traditions I have that are of a creative sort; one is music while the other is listening to a Christmas story being read by a very able fellow by the name of Allan Maitlain, 'Fireside Al'. Both of these are presented by the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).

If you are a fan of choral music you might want to pull up CBC on the internet next Sunday and listen to Joy to the World 2014 . A full day of choral music that starts in New York City and then moves over to Europe and bounces around every hour to different cities so you get a nice mix of choirs and the music they present. Since I am a fan of choral music, the human voice after all is the finest instrument bar none and singing together with others in a choir can be inspiring, I do enjoy the day. Find info here:

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/Radio2/blogs/2014/12/Joy-to-the-World-2014-a-Euroradio-holiday-music-special-on-CBC-Radio-2

The second is a story called 'The Shepherd' by Fredrick Forsyth which this year will mark the thirty fourth year that it is broadcast on Christmas Eve on a show called 'As It Happens'. It runs 30 minutes and is best suited to ages of young adults and beyond; children would be bored. I suggest turning the lights down, pour a flaggon of your favorite elixir if you indulge and give it your full attention. Oh and have a kleenex or two handy. Since the advent of the internet it can be listened to at any time rather than the 'official' broadcast time on Christmas Eve but it seems to be unavailable right now. I don't know when they open in up for a listen at any time. They did so last year and expect they will again. Bookmark it and keep trying. More info can be found here:

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2012/12/24/fireside-al-maitland-reads-frederick-forsyths-the-shepherd/

I encourage you to check out both these two broadcasts. There is a third but I haven't been able to track down the broadcast time. It is a very funny story involving nothing more than cooking the Christmas turkey.

If you have any similar traditions to mine I would like to know them, please do post.

All the best

Dyh

Kridrond
Kinsman

I will definitely be checking that out this Sunday, thanks for sharing.  While not a tradition, here's a link to a Christmas broadcast by the Queen of England from 1957.  Her comments addressing technology are spot on and amazingly relevant today.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRP-o6Q85s 

This is a wonderful thread. 

Some traditions observed here whenever possible are:

- Tchaikovsky's  ballet 'The Nutcracker' - either full length or as the Suite.  Medium:  stage, television, radio.   Check local listings.

- Humperdinck's children's opera 'Hansel and Gretel'.  Medium: stage, television, radio.  Check local listings. 

- King's College, Cambridge, England.  'A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols'.  A Christmas Eve tradition started in 1918, and first broadcast in 1928.  Medium:  television, radio.  Check local listings.

In addition, there are several local activities, and I'm sure every town has its unique ways of celebrating the season.  Partake as much of it as your and your family's schedules, energies and inclination permit. 

~Leri

Dyh1
Kinsman

I have information on the third 'tradtion'; 'Dave Cooks the Turkey'. It will be broadcast on both days of the coming weekend on the CBC program The Vinyl Cafe. It can get a bit complicated so maybe you Dwarfs should put down your tankards, give your heads a shake and listen closely.

The Vinyl Cafe is broadcast twice on the weekend, once on Saturday and again on Sunday on CBC 1 and CBC 2. I will leave it to you to go the CBC site and find the most appropriate time you can give a listen. I believe those beyond our borders are somewhat restricted in how many time zones they can tune in to; two I think is the limit.

However this story is a good one, it stretches belief a bit at times but overall it is a great listen. I hope you find it if you seek it out and enjoy.

I will throw in a fourth: A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas. My favorite version can be round here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLDaAG7j_o Enjoy!

Dyh

Lerillos
Lerillos
Leader

Here are a few more.  These are popular in the States, but may be more difficult to access outside of them.

The cartoon video 'Rudolf, the Red-Nosed Reindeer '  (it may be called 'Land of Misfit Toys', I can't recall), narrated by the late Burl Ives, a collector and performer of traditional folks songs.  Medium:  Television.  Check local listings.  Likely also available through the Internet. 

The cartoon video 'Frosty the Snowman' narrated by the late Jimmy Durante, a a versatile performer of stage, radio, screen, television.  Medium:  Television.  Check local listings.  Likely also available through the Internet.  

The cartoon video  'A Charlie Brown Christmas', a 'Peanuts' Christmas story.  For those of you who do not know, 'Peanuts'  is a newspaper comics strip drawn by the late Charles Schultz and is now reprinted for the next generation's enjoyment.  Medium:  Television.  Check local listings.  Likely also available through the Internet. 

~Lerillos

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Middle Earth Craft and Wares Forum Index -> Natterings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: